How to Use a Neti Pot to Get the Highest Possible Benefits?
If you want to enjoy all the benefits of nasal irrigation with a Neti Pot and eliminate all the possible risks, learn about how to use a Neti Pot properly. It’s pretty easy, indeed. Yet, don’t underestimate the importance of right concentration of components and additives in your Neti Pot solution, clean water taken as its base, right position of the head when practicing nasal irrigation and, certainly, maintaining your Neti Pot clean and using it only personally in order to prevent possible spreading of infection.
How to Use a Neti Pot?
To find the best sinus irrigation technique, get acquainted with them all and opt for the one that seems the most convenient to you personally.
- The most widespread technique of natural nasal wash the majority of people practice is when you pour the saline solution into one nostril and make it run through and out of the other while breathing through the mouth.
- Another technique, a bit more difficult, is used by some yoga practitioners, when you pour the Neti Pot solution into one nostril, keep the other nostril closed to let the solution flow out of your mouth. This method may seem a challenge as it can be accompanied by a vomiting reflex.
- One more advanced technique is taking the solution into the mouth and making it run out of nostrils.
Neti Pot Instructions
- Prepare the solution. Don’t use hot or cool water. Lukewarm sterile, distilled or previously boiled water will work perfectly. Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt or non-iodized salt to 8 ounces of water, let it dissolve.
- Bend over the sink, tilt your head a bit to the side to prevent the solution from getting into the ear cavity.
- Insert the neti pot spout into one nostril, breathe through your mouth and pour the solution slowly into your nose. Using gravity the solution will make its way from one nostril to another flushing your nasal passages and cavities, and will flow out of another nostril together with mucus, dust and other irritants and pollutants.
- Do the same for the other nostril.
Wash your Neti Pot thoroughly and let it dry to avoid bacteria getting into your sinuses next time you practice nasal irrigation. Follow Neti Pot instructions strictly.
This simple, yet unique sinus irrigation with a Neti Pot works perfectly both as treatment for various sinus disorders, being an alternative remedy to over-the-counter medications and an excellent preventive measure against numerous nasal problems.